Barcode and RFID Convergence is Not About Technology
Tom Wimmer and I gave a presentation on this topic yesterday in support of the white paper we just published for GS1/EPCGlobal US, the crux of which can be summarized by the following:
- Technologies are being integrated with each other because the end user wants to leverage the information and attain the benefits from each independent system.
- Gathering and sharing information from independent systems can be attained by creating consistency within common architectures.
- This consistency can be accomplished by developing a single, unifying platform that will ensure that the information being used is essentially the same … a standard.
- Although technologies continue to be integrated with each other and leverage a diversity of carriers, the real convergence is occurring at the data level.
- Convergence is not about technology, it’s about commonality.